Washington, D.C.— In response to President Biden’s continued commitments to advance transportation electrification during his State of the Union address, Electrification Coalition Executive Director Ben Prochazka made the following statement:
“The president began by addressing the tragic crisis in Ukraine. This conflict is the latest example of the inextricable links between our energy systems and our national security. The U.S. transportation sector’s overwhelming dependence on volatile global oil markets – and the unreliable actors who influence them – is a direct threat to the interests of the United States and our allies.
“Widespread adoption of electric vehicles is the best scalable strategy to loosen oil’s grip on our national security and our economic prosperity. It is time for bipartisan leadership to accelerate the arrival of a transportation future that is domestically powered and stably priced.
“The administration has demonstrated remarkable leadership to accelerate the transition to electric vehicles, including through the following actions:
- Signing an executive order to electrify the federal fleet, including 100 percent zero-emission-vehicle acquisitions by 2035
- Signing an executive order to increase zero-emission vehicles’ share of new passenger vehicle sales to 50 percent by 2030
- Restoring strong standards for vehicle emissions and fuel economy
- Spearheading the enactment of the historic Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, which includes unprecedented levels of funding for EV charging infrastructure and electric school buses
- Working with Congress to propose policies through the reconciliation process that would incentivize the manufacture and purchase of all classes of electric cars, buses and trucks.
“We applaud the administration for its leadership on transportation electrification, and we appreciate the opportunity to be a partner in these impressive steps forward to reduce our transportation system’s reliance on oil. But much more work remains to be done to free ourselves from the harms petroleum dependence inflicts on the American people, our national security, economic prosperity, climate and public health.
“We are encouraged by the president’s remarks tonight in continued support of transportation electrification, emphasizing that federal policies to lower the price of electric vehicles will have substantial economic benefits for American consumers.
“We urge members of Congress on both sides of the aisle to work with the administration to enact proposals that will accelerate widespread EV adoption. This is a moment like no other, and our leaders must waste no time seizing it.”