There has never been a more exciting time for transportation electrification, and the EC is conducting essential communications work that is necessary to facilitate this historic transformation away from petroleum. The EC is seeking a skilled and ambitious communications professional to join our growing team. The Communications Associate supports the EC’s communications and media relations work. The new team member is responsible for implementing and advancing the EC’s communications strategy and managing successful team execution of this strategy to achieve outreach goals. The Communications Associate will strengthen the EC’s relationships with journalists and thought leaders, develop compelling messages and content to inform and educate target audiences, and spread the word about the EC’s tools, resources, and publications.
- Supports the development and implementation of EC communications strategies to advance the EC mission.
- Supports the development and publication of EC outreach materials, including fact sheets, reports, newsletters, web content, presentations, and guides.
- Conducts media relations, including pitching reporters, developing story ideas, compiling media lists, placing op-eds, writing press releases and advisories, developing talking points, facilitating interviews, organizing media events, and managing relationships with reporters.
- Updates EC website and develops new content to support EC programs.
- Develops and implements effective social media campaigns; uses social media to publicize and promote EC resources, successes, messages, speaking engagements, events, and calls to action.
- Measures and tracks communications results to evaluate progress against key metrics
Knowledge and Experience
- Strong entrepreneurial/opportunistic approach to work and programs.
- Bachelor’s degree required in journalism, public policy, communications, marketing, or similar field.
- 1-3 years of communications and/or media relations experience in an advocacy, trade association, nonprofit, government, policy, or political field.
- Experience in media relations, including pitching reporters, developing story ideas, compiling media lists, placing op-eds, writing press releases and advisories, facilitating or conducting interviews, organizing media events, and managing relationships with reporters.
- Experience planning and executing outreach campaigns, including goal setting, audience identification, message development, tactics selection, and results tracking.
- Strong understanding of policymaking processes and government affairs.
- Experience conducting outreach and advocacy via social media.
- Strong familiarity with email marketing and website content management systems.
- Knowledge of electric vehicles, energy policy, energy security, and/or transportation policy.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with an outstanding ability to write clearly and concisely in a journalistic style.
- A flexible nature that allows you to quickly adapt and adjust to new priorities and opportunities.
- Strong organizational skills, time management, and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently without close oversight and as a team player who productively engages with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside of the EC.
- Ability to work on tight deadlines and manage an ambitious workload.
The opportunity garners a competitive salary and benefits package, $40,000-55,000 in Washington, D.C. Salaries are localized to applicant’s geographic location. We are open to both experienced and newer candidates; the offer will be reflective of a candidate’s individual experience level.